Cob: Plaster finish question

D.J. Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Wed Aug 27 00:10:40 CDT 2003

Ed,

Raduazo at aol.com wrote:

> At the price drywall joint compound would be cheaper, and you get a
> free bucket with every purchase, and it might be more environmentally
> friendly too.

I am not an expert on drywall mud, but think it is basically a chalk
like mortar.  I've never applied it to an earthen wall and would under
no circumstances use it for an exterior wall plaster.

> My question is: Has anyone ever used corral or ground up sea shells
> with lime to make a finish plaster?

I've seen seashells embedded in a lime mortar for decoration.   I know
that lime has been produced from burning coral and seashells.   I've
visited a 1894 built, and recently replastered,  small country hospital
that used a lime + sea sand + fern glue based lime finish rendering over
an earthen wall.   Apparently it took a long time to fine the same kind
of beach sand that was originally used on the wall.

Seashells should be no problem.

> How does it work? I would rather use a white silicon sand, and there
> are a couple other places near Washington that have yet to try.

This would work to.

>   Another alternative is to use any sand and then apply a pure lime
> white wash, but I remember white washes of my youth that came off on
> your hands and clothing every time you touche them, and I don't want
> that either.

You can apply a thin, straight lime mortar with light colored fibre and
no sand in it for a finish color.  This method can give a shiny look if
you rub it enough, but I think its time consuming.

>  Can anyone tell me what works the best on cob?

I'm familiar mostly with a three coat method for very professional
finishes.   The first being the hard earth core, the next coat has a
little more sand in it and finally the lime rendering.   Some places
with a sand with lime before the pure lime with fibre finish is applied.

> Ed

Darel