Cob: slab .. was Introduction

mick stone costaricacob at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 27 14:29:39 CDT 2003

>Mick-  a slab is not a bad idea  ...it may just be unnecessary.   and
>costly to import cement.

ok, yes cost is definitely a factor and i just assumed concrete was somewhat
affordable and that any cheaper options would be no good for a rain forest
environment.

>why not go post and pier? cement or stone piers to rise off the ground
>enough so cool air can flow under, and use a bamboo or wood floor base?

i like that idea but i'd be worried about a wood floor base because of
moisture and/or termites. i like the bamboo idea because it's probably very
cheap down there and no trees need to be cut down, but i wonder if it is as
susceptible to rot and termites as wood is.

>or if you are building  all cob walls  a rubble stone perimeter
>foundation,( gravel inner pad  or bamboo floor)  and the heavy walls go
>only on the stone  perimeter?   is this a quake zone? would snakes/animals
>live under a  raised floor?

will a rubble/stone foundation allow me to raise the floor of the house up
high enough to avoid water in a heavy downpour? i'm not sure about how
likely earthquakes are at that altitude (1000-2000 feet) but i will check.
regarding the animals, yes, there's no doubt that animals would take up
residence under a house if they could. i wouldn't worry about snakes (in
fact, i'd welcome them) as they eat rodents, etc, but i probably wouldn't
want anything potentially destructive living under there.

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental