Cob: Re: Cats dying

D.J. Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Tue Sep 9 23:06:28 CDT 2003

Quinn,

Quinn wrote:

>Can anyone tell me of their experiences of using wood within a cob structure -say, framing in windows or doors, or even with rafters or whatever- and possible problems with termites?

You can think of the cob as protecting the wood from termites.   It will
not necessary prevent them, but it will slow down their getting
started.   This is opposed to naked wood, where they can just jump right
in.    The cob should also slow them down, being a hard when dried
material.   If termite holes in the cob are found, maybe some shot of
natural liquite or smoke can be shot into the tunnel for a good period
of time and then the hole sealed up again.    Might slow them down some.

I have seen, hundred year old buildings with the wood encased in a cob
like daub.

>I don't want to use any chemicals at all on my land.  I've used diatomaceous earth on fire ants in the yard, BTW.

I have seen diatomaceous earth used as a final rendering for walls.
Good sound qualities and humidiy buffering as well.

Darel;