[Cob]mythical cob bathtubs!

charmaine taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sun Nov 16 03:33:10 CST 2003

Back a while Charmaine heard from someone who had made a cob bathtub using
hemp oil as the sealant.

Amanda Peck

_____________

I am sorry to say the person who did this said she  never uses the tub
for bathing, or puts water in it at all, and so I feel it misleading for her to
encourage others to"make a cob tub".

There may be some things we just don't ask clay to do...but OTOH clay is what
lines river beds and streams and keeps the water in the river.

So as Becky Bee does, use a metal or ceramic tub and cob around it.

on Extreme Homes I have seen some fantastic tub surrounds with
tile and organic materials..so a high lime-clay mix can be a solution.

and using hydraulic lime to line the "cob" earthen tub is also a natural
solution and lets you have an all clay base tub.

Hydraulic lime sets in water ( not air as regular lime does) so it can be
plastered over cob, and protect it.

learn more at http://www.limes.us/

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten CA 95534
707-441-1632