[Cob] Why soak lime?

Lance Collins collinsl at bigpond.net.au
Wed Nov 19 00:41:48 CST 2003

I've got my experimental wall up inside my shed.  It's a bit rough where
I've laid blocks so I've started rendering.

For the scratch coat I have mixed sieved sub-soil, sawdust and powdered
hydrated lime (9/9/2) with water to give a slightly sloppy mix.  It sticks
well to my wall and the worst cracks are about 1 mm where the cover is
about 5 mm.  Now I've made a wash of 3 parts soil to 1 part lime and
brushed this over the scratch coat.  The cracks have closed nicely and a
wet cloth rubs up a smooth finish.   It all looks pretty good  for a first
attempt.

The wall is not professionally flat  but it looks OK for a mud wall.

So what problems can I expect from not using lime putty and sand?

Lance