[Cob] Why soak lime?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 19 07:54:24 CST 2003

You MAY have already gotten the worst of the problems.  Powdered lime is
right horrible to your nose and eyes.  Mixing it with water a bag at a time,
preferably with a mask and maybe a face shield helps prevent the constant
exposure.  Lime putty eats up your skin, but it's nice to work with.  I'm
beginning to think that Charmaine's idea of rubbermaid tubs is a good one,
the garbage can and olive barrel I've got are awfully hard to lift stuff out
of.

The longer the putty is aged, though, the nicer it is to work with.  The
Romans thought that a couple of generations was good, although that may have
had something to do with the guilds not wanting anyone new to go into the
building trades.

The summer I spent in Mexico, one of the staples that was carried in by
horseback to the village was 50 lb bags of hydrated lime (from the U.S.,
prominently labled NOT FOR FOOD USE) to be used in turning dried corn into
masa for making tortillas.  It ate the skin off the corn, transformed the
taste--and needed lots and lots and lots of rinsing.  They did use it right
out of the bag for that, though--mixed it with water, brought it to a boil,
then added the corn.
Lance asked (snipped a lot)

So what problems can I expect from not using lime putty and sand?

Lance

Say “goodbye” to busy signals and slow downloads with a high-speed Internet
connection! Prices start at less than $1 a day average.