[Cob] a newbie question

phil phawn1 at excite.com
Sat Dec 13 22:00:03 CST 2003

Even though a rumford fireplace is about efficient as they get, a fireplace is a poor source for heating. Unless you build in a lot of air venting to feed the fire it would eventually pull all of the heat out of your home while its burning. Even then, a good portion of your heat will go right up the chimney. A better choice would be a masonry stove. It should be possible to build most of it with cob though you may want to include brick or rock as well.

There is always a woodstove too.

Phil Hawn, President
The North Carolina Natural Building Coalition
http://naturalbuilder.org
cob, strawbale, cordwood and other sustainable earthbuilding techniques