[Cob] COB: Long, long list of earthen building links.

Mark Piepkorn duckchow at potkettleblack.com
Sun Dec 14 10:54:26 CST 2003

At 12:48 PM 12/13/2003, Amanda Peck wrote:
>http://www.naturalbuilder.com
>no names available on who they are.  They do swear that they will be
>offering workshops in 2004.  Anybody know anything about their books?

         That's Steve Berlant, who goes back quite a ways in this stuff. I
have the books (plastic-spiral-bound affairs), and like them a great deal.
They're almost the antithesis of The Hand-Sculpted House (and they predate
it by a longish stretch). They're not how-to manuals; rather, they're like
a thoroughly catalogued collection of citations and notes compiled over the
years of his research and experience. Much of the info is well advanced of
what's in the "common" 'Murrican literature.

         For my birthday, the Dearest One found a copy of the proceedings
from the 1990 Conference on Earthen Architecture that was held in New
Mexico. Some wonderful hardcore stuff on historic cob. Papers in English,
Spanish, German - totally recommended, that one, but good luck finding
copies. Much content like the paper referenced at IHBC -
http://www.ihbc.org.uk/Cob_Paper/Introduction.html